People often ask me what biohacking actually is.
To put it simply, it’s a movement whose goals go way beyond the idea of leading a “healthy lifestyle.”
Biohacking started over ten years ago among groups of young scientists and students in California, who began to systematically evaluate their physical, spiritual, and emotional health, as well as analyze their living conditions and environment. Their goal? To maximize individual performance and increase overall well-being.
In a nutshell: biohacking is about self-optimization. Finding the best version of yourself!
It incorporates the latest scientific and technological advances in the fields of health and wellness, developing them further and applying them in a practical context.
In other words, biohacking is an effective and applicable set of science-based practices that generate real results—and are easily adaptable to each person’s needs and goals.
Given its effectiveness, the number of biohacking enthusiasts around the world is growing steadily. I’m one of them.
Maximilian Gotzler, the founder of FlowGrade, is the most well-known biohacking advocate in Germany.
Although most people who practice biohacking are relatively young, the methods are particularly useful when it comes to anti-aging.
Anyone who commits to the principles of biohacking and adjusts their daily routine accordingly has a good chance of staying healthy and supple — i.e., young — for a longer period of time!
Fortunately, the practices are easy to integrate into everyday life and require just one thing: consistency!
What’s important to keep in mind: Movement, nutrition, and relaxation have an enormous influence on your health, performance, and biological age. Biohacking integrates specific recommendations in each of these key areas that significantly increase your likelihood of achieving successful results.
With that in mind, here are my 10 essential biohacks that everyone can start with:
- Take a cold shower for approximately 30 seconds every morning.
- Spend one hour a day outside, i.e. in natural sunlight.
- Work out to the point of sweating at least 3 times per week.
- Take 5 deep belly breaths at least three times a day. Meditate for 15 minutes a day, ideally before going to bed.
- Eat as little sugar and carbohydrates—like pasta, rice, and potatoes—as possible. Substitute them with vegetables and protein-rich foods. Drink 2.5 liters of water per day. Depending on your individual needs, take nutritional supplements.
- Wear blue light-blocking glasses in the evenings, and turn off all screens 1 hour before going to bed.
- Take 400mg of magnesium every evening. This relaxes the muscles and improves sleep quality.
- Practice interval fasting—allowing at least 16 hours between dinner and breakfast the next morning—at least 3 times per week.
- Have sex frequently.
- Get at least 7.5 hours of sleep every night – 9 hours are even better! Your bedroom should be absolutely dark (use sleep-mask), noiseless and have the temprerature about 16-18 degrees. (How to sleep better)
Share this post
One Reply to “Stay young longer — with biohacking!”
Excellent post and summary of what Biohacking is all about.
And no matter how old you are, you can start anytime 🙂